By early 2019, nearly 3.8 billion email accounts were in existence; according to a recent Radicati Group study, more than half the world’s people use email right now. In 2022, the number of email users worldwide is forecast at more than 4 billion. This figure is set to grow to 4.6 billion in 2025, making up more than half of the expected world population.
These stats clearly show that email marketing is an opportunity that brands shouldn’t be missing out on. That being said, it’s also important for marketers to be aware of current email usage trends and statistics.
Hence, we’ve compiled a list of exciting email usage stats that show just how valuable email can be.
Email Usage Stats Highlights
- Over half of the global population(4 billion) use emails.
- The number of emails sent every second exceeds 3.13 million.
- It is estimated that there are over 7.9 billion email accounts worldwide.
- A 50% open rate is recorded for emails on mobile devices.
- Gmail is the most popular email provider, with 1.8 billion active user accounts worldwide.
- The average user has at least 1.86 email accounts.
On This Page
- 1 Emai Usage – Key Stats
- 1.1 Over half of the global population(4 billion) use emails.
- 1.2 Over 3.13 million emails are sent every second.
- 1.3 It is estimated that there are over 7.9 billion email accounts worldwide.
- 1.4 A 50% open rate is recorded for emails on mobile devices.
- 1.5 Gmail is the most popular email provider, with 1.8 billion active user accounts worldwide.
- 1.6 The average user has at least 1.86 email accounts.
- 2 Other Important Email Stats
- 3 Conclusion
Emai Usage – Key Stats
Over half of the global population(4 billion) use emails.
Since the invention of email, the number of users has increased. More people use mail than any single social media platform. Over 4 billion people reportedly used email last year, more than Facebook’s 2.74 billion users and YouTube’s 2.291 billion users. Statista predicts that the number of email users will expand to nearly 4.4 billion by 2023. This number is only projected to increase in the coming years. Additionally, the number of emails people send daily continues to grow every year. Therefore, email marketing remains a highly effective form of lead generation, even in 2022.
Over 3.13 million emails are sent every second.
The latest reports suggest 333.2 billion emails per day. This includes both consumer and business emails. According to Radicati, In 2023, the number of emails sent daily will grow 4.2%, resulting in 347.3 billion emails a day. By 2025, the number of emails in circulation should stand at 376.4 billion daily.
It is estimated that there are over 7.9 billion email accounts worldwide.
Email is universal and is the most common internet-based activity for adults of working age. The number is changing minute by minute. The number of email users worldwide is growing as email usage by age penetrates groups younger than 15 and over 65. When we add the factor of multiple accounts per person, the conclusion is the number will continue to rise steadily over the years.
A 50% open rate is recorded for emails on mobile devices.
Daily, consumers use their smartphones to request an Uber, order takeout, shop for clothes and shoes, and last but certainly not least, check their emails. As a result, mobile email usage has exponentially increased over the last several years. IBM’s Marketing Benchmark Report states that approximately 50% of all email opens happen on mobile. Regarding email opens, mobile devices have clearly taken over traditional desktop usage. That is why you should optimize your emails for mobile, especially if your business is among the industries where most email opens occur on mobile.
Gmail is the most popular email provider, with 1.8 billion active user accounts worldwide.
This statistic shows that Gmail dominates the world of email, with a 45% market share and more than 1.8 billion users worldwide. While you might assume that this only outdoes other email companies by a bit, you’d be surprised to know that Gmail wins out quite a lot. Outlook has 400 million, and Yahoo has 225 million. Even if we look at one country, like America, Gmail dominates by an even more significant margin. 85% of the American population that use email use Gmail.
The average user has at least 1.86 email accounts.
People initially choose to have separate accounts for their personal and professional lives. On top of this main division, the number of reasons for having multiple accounts is growing. The data from 2018 shows that the average number of accounts per user was 1.75, whereas, by now, it should have reached 1.86 accounts per user. With this kind of work increasing in popularity, more and more people will likely have more than two email addresses to their name in the coming days.
Other Important Email Stats
- The global email marketing market was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020 and is projected to increase to $17.9 billion by 2027.
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
- Since the pandemic, more than 40% of marketers have seen budget cuts to email.
- 4 out of 5 marketers said they’d give up social media rather than email marketing.
- The U.S. spent over 350 million dollars on email advertising in 2019.
- Email click-through rates improve by 200% when interactive elements are added.
Email is still an authentic way to reach people. Today email users exist all over the globe. Since its launch, it has become one of the most preferred communication platforms globally. More than 4 billion of the 8 billion human population use emails.
The data makes it clear. If you are looking for a more effective way for your business to reach its target audience, email is an ideal tool. Thus, we hope these email usage statistics for 2022 will help you determine which email marketing practices are best for you and your brand and ensure your campaigns’ long-term success.