Social media has changed our lives. We get our news and how we interact with our loved ones. Social media is everywhere. It’s unavoidable, powerful, and it’s here to stay. Today you’ll find some of the most valuable social media statistics to inform your strategy.
Social Media Stats Highlights
- It is estimated that there are 4.62 billion social media users worldwide in 2022.
- The average person uses social media for 2 hours and 27 minutes daily.
- In terms of traffic, YouTube is the world’s most visited website.
- In 2018, social media users worldwide grew to 3.196 billion.
- 57% of consumers follow brands on social media to hear about new products/services.
On This Page
- 1 Social Media – Key Stats
- 1.1 It is estimated that there are 4.62 billion social media users in the world today.
- 1.2 The average person uses social media for 2 hours and 27 minutes every day.
- 1.3 In terms of traffic, YouTube is the world’s most visited website.
- 1.4 In 2018, social media users worldwide grew to 3.196 billion.
- 1.5 57% of consumers follow brands on social media to hear about new products/services.
- 1.6 TikTok saw a staggering 105% user growth rate in the US over the past two years (2020-2021).
- 2 Additional Social Media Stats
- 3 Wrapping Up
Social Media – Key Stats
Now let’s dive into the stats a bit deeper.
The number of social media users globally grew from 4.2 billion in January 2021 to 4.62 billion in January 2022, which includes users from social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok. It accounts for a 10.1% growth YOY of global social media usage. Now in double-digits, social growth in 2021-22 is notably higher than the pre-pandemic slump seen in 2018 -2020, with new platforms and innovations contributing to the upward trend.
Social media has become an obsession for consumers. The scope and use of social media are expanding along with the global digital population. Over half of the world’s population use some form of social media, and the average person uses it for 2 hours and 27 minutes daily. That amount is probably larger if you’re a creator, social media manager, or business owner.
In terms of traffic, YouTube is the world’s most visited website.
When looking for a funny video or how-to tutorial, people go to YouTube, which commands a large number of active users. Data from Startupbonsai Search shows YouTube received more than 8.5 billion monthly global visitors in 2020. That’s twice as much as Facebook, which came second with 3.48 billion monthly visitors.
The usage of social media worldwide is ever-increasing and is, without a doubt, one of the most popular online activities that internet users engage in. In 2018 the number of active social media users worldwide grew to 3.196 billion, which is up 13% year on year. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok are the most popular social media networks that users engage with.
Being consistently active on social media does pay off. 57% of consumers follow brands to stay up-to-date on new products and services and so much more.
It is good news for brands hoping to use social media to help generate a buzz over a new product launch. An impressive 76% of US consumers have bought a product they’ve seen in a company’s social media post.
TikTok saw a staggering 105% user growth rate in the US over the past two years (2020-2021).
TikTok has transformed itself from “What the heck is this?” to a must-have social network for brands. The platform’s rabid fanbase, rapid growth, and sky-high usage spell great news for early adopters. It is the fastest-growing social network, with a staggering 105% user growth rate in the US over the years (2020-21).
Additional Social Media Stats
- The average social media user engages with 6.6 social media platforms.
- 82% of marketers say they repurpose content across social media channels.
- 72.3% of the US population actively uses social media, totaling 240 million people.
- 40% of all internet users worldwide utilize social media for work purposes.
- Twitter has reached 229 million daily active users since the first quarter of 2022.
- 98% of marketers say Instagram is the most influential platform for influencer marketing, which is 44% higher than Facebook.
- 80% of marketers say funny content is the most effective on social media.
As we move through 2022, we will see the emergence of new trends, features, and much more from social media. These social media platforms will likely continue to dominate the industry because of their capacity to change with the times, connect people, and engage. Overall, these social media statistics can play a major role in helping you to plan your strategy for the year ahead.