WooCommerce is an open-source plugin for developing an e-commerce platform for WordPress. The popular plugin is similar to Shopify, Magento, and Prestashop, targeting small and large e-commerce operators. It is one of the most suitable plugins for e-commerce stores in WordPress.
The plugin launched on 27 September 2011, and within a short period, it has become one of the most sought-after plugins because of its easy interface and customization features. In this article, we have compiled a lot of statistical information about the WooCommerce Plugin, and it will give a fair idea about its performance while comparing it with its competitors.
On This Page
Some interesting WooCommerce Statistics for 2021
WooCommerce Powers 28.19 percent of all online stores worldwide.
WooCommerce supports 56 languages
- 4.4 million ecommerce sites are powered by Woocommerce globally
- 93,7% of all WordPress eCommerce websites use WooCommerce
- WordPress directory as over 980 Woocommerce plugin
- Globally, about 7.4% of all websites use WooCommerce.
The journey of WooCommerce started with WooThemes. They hired James Koster and Mike of Jolley of Jigowatt to develop WooCommerce plugins. They tweaked the Jigoshop plugin and created WooCommerce.
Usage statistics of WooCommerce
The following mind-blowing information will shake your understanding of WooCommerce and why it is regarded as one of the rapidly growing WordPress plugins.
- Currently, more than 4,414,537 active e-commerce platforms are using WooCommerce.
- The growth of WooCommerce is a staggering phenomenon, which is evident in the plugin’s huge demand. There is an increase of 5,000 more websites using the plugin than last year.
- Presently WooCommerce has a 27.78% market share.
- WooCommerce 27.78%
- Squarespace Online Stores 22.35%
- Shopify 9.90%
The inside story of WooCommerce
- Adii Pienaar, Magnus Jepson, and Mark Forrester are the founders of WooCommerce.
- WooCommerce is an open-source e-commerce plugin for WordPress.
- WooThemes released WooCommerce in 2011.
- Automattic acquired WooThemes in 2015 and rebranded it as WooCommerce.
- Presently WooCommerce enjoys a 40% share of the global e-commerce market.
- As per the COCOMO model (Constructive Cost Model – a regressive model based on LOC), developing WooCommerce took 45 year-person time investment, which will cost about $2,467,590.
WooCommerce Statistics and Report plugins
For enhancing user experience and accomplishing various functionalities on your website, WordPress offers thousands of plugins. You can add the desired plugins to monitor acquisitions, visitors, etc., by adding analytical plugins to the website.
- WooCommerce Google Analytics
The plugin connects Google Analytics and WooCommerce Plugin. The plugin connects a referral to the purchase register and shares the transaction information with Google Analytics. Further, it can support e-commerce activities, Universal Analytics, and tracking.
As of today, the plugin had more than 100,000 downloads from the WordPress website. After installation of the plugin, you need to connect it with Google Analytics.
- Improved e-Commerce Google Analytics Plugin for WooCommerce
It is an advanced analytic plugin for WooCommerce, designed to add all most all Google Analytics data to the WooCommerce store. The plugin is ideal for tracking the behavior pattern of users. It can support product performance, sales performance, shopping behavior, and checkout behavior.
You can download the plugin directly from the WordPress website. So far, it has had more than 30,000 installations.
- Cart Report for Checking Abandoned Actions on WooCommerce
The plugin helps to track the abandoned cart actions by monitoring the customers’ behavior. It will also monitor the cart actions whenever a product gets added to the cart. The plugin can help you track the visitors’ email and follow up for further actions. Once you activate the plugin, it will show an “In Progress” note, and if there is no action for 15 minutes, the status may change to “Abandoned.”
- MonsterInsights – A Google Analytics Plugin for WordPress Dashboard
The plugin will let you have the entire Google Analytics on the WordPress Dashboard, allowing you to have a clear idea about the site visitors. The report will let you make necessary changes to your website and the contents.
MonsterInsights come in basic (free) and premium versions. The premium version will add all the available Google Analytics features, and the basic version will show only the statistics. After activating the tracking, the plugin will show all the critical WooCommerce metrics on the dashboard. The dashboard will show abandoned cart, total transactions, conversion rate, and top products. It had 2 million downloads until now.
- Metroik – A Plugin for Reports and Email Automation
By installing the plugin, you will have real-time dashboard information on the WooCommerce store, and it can collectively display customers’ positions, store orders, and products. Metroik can quickly generate the WooCommerce report.
You can also get the conversion rate history as well as the current conversion rate. The live chat option is another plus point of the plugin, which will let you communicate with your customers who have installed the Metroik plugin. It has more than 4,000 downloads until now.
Revenue and Growth of WooCommerce in 2020
Stats of WooCommerce Community
- On the GitHub repository, WooCommerce has 1,010 contributors.
- There are 37,836 commits registered to the official WooCommerce GitHub repository until now.
- WooCommerce released its latest 5.0 version in Feb 2021.
- The latest version has 418 commits. Out of this, 255 commits are by 30 contributors belonging to WooCommerce core, and 163 commits are 26 contributors from the WooCommerce admin package.
Theme and Plugin statistics of WooCommerce
- In the WooCommerce directory, WordPress holds more than 1,131 WooCommerce themes.
- In ThemeForest, WooCommerce has more than 1,287 themes.
- On ThemeForest, Avada has more than 656,300 purchases until January 2021. It is the best-selling theme by ThemeFusion.
- In the WordPress plugin directory, you can find more than 980 WooCommerce plugins.
- Presently, more than 1,878 WooCommerce plugins are in CodeCanyon.
- Amazon Affiliate extension is the most popular WooCommerce plugin on CodeCanyon. It has been growing continuously and registered more than 31,000 sales until now.
- WooCommerce.com offers 520 official WooCommerce plugins, and out of this, 31 are free of cost.
- WooCommerce supports 56 languages.
- 140 region-specific gateways are integrated with WooCommerce.
The open-source plugin, WooCommerce is the most popular WordPress plugin. It helps entrepreneurs to open online stores easily and sell their products globally. With the release of new themes regularly and plugins, WooCommerce creates a new dimension for business conversions. It is one of the successful plugins, and its easy interface with the support of new themes will give strong support for the entrepreneurs. The feature-rich plugins will continue to demonstrate their strong presence in the market in the coming years.