Are you trying to figure out how to add handling fees to WooCommerce checkout? I have got you covered.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to add extra fees to checkout in a few easy steps with the help of the WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing & Discounts Plugin.
On This Page
What are Handling Fees?
The handling fee is the cost related to the preparation and packaging of a customer’s order. These charges are additional charges on top of an order’s subtotal and shipping fees.
Common reasons to charge a handling fee are the cost of storing the product, the time involved in the product fulfillment, packaging cost, etc. You include a handling fee on fragile products or products with irregular dimensions.
When Should You Add Handling Fee to WooCommerce Checkout?
You can apply handling fees to your WooCommerce checkout for a particular payment method. For instance, if a buyer uses a specific method, they will need to pay the handling fee on the total amount. Otherwise, they don’t need to pay the handling fees at all. This is the most common scenario we discovered. This is when you should add a handling fee to your WooCommerce checkout.
Read the following section to check how to add handling fees to WooCommerce checkout.
How to Add Handling Fee to WooCommerce Checkout?
Follow the given steps to add handling fees to a particular payment method.
1. Install the Dynamic Pricing and Discounts Plugin
Note: You can skip this step if you have already installed and activated the WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing & Discounts Plugin.
To install the WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing & Discounts Plugin, you must install the Woosuite Core plugin and activate your Woosuite license key. We have created a Quick Start Guide to walk you through the installation process.
2. Add Handling Fees
Look for the ‘Woosuite’ option in the left sidebar of your WordPress toolbar.
Then, click on the ‘Dynamic Pricing Rules’ option under the Woosuite Sub-menu.
In WordPress Admin Dashboard: Woosuite > Dynamic Pricing Rules > Click on it
Then, head over to the ‘Checkout Fees’ section.
Click on the ‘Add Pricing Group’ button to add handling fees.
- Title Field: Give a title to your new rule. This won’t be visible on the front end. I’m naming this rule – Handling Fees.
- Checkout Fee Label: Enter the label as – Handling Fees. This will be visible on the front end, i.e., the checkout page.
- Fees Based On: Select whether you want to apply this rule based on the Cart Total or Cart Item. You can select according to your requirements. I’m selecting ‘Cart Total’ because I want to apply the handling fee to the total cart amount.
- Type: Select between Percentage Adjustment and Fixed Price Adjustment from the given options. You can either charge 15% of the total cart amount or only $15 on the total amount. As of now, I’m selecting ‘Fixed Price Adjustment.’
- Amount Field: Enter the handling fees you want to apply to the cart total. I’m adding $15. If I had selected Percentage Adjustment, then it would be 15%.
3. Set Conditions:
If you want to make this rule conditional, I will tell you how to do it. For instance, if you only want to apply this rule when users select payment methods such as Cash On Delivery or any other specific payment method. So, follow the given steps.
- Checkout: From the Checkout options, select ‘Payment Methods.’
- Condition: This will be set to ‘IN.’
- Method: Now, select the payment method on which you want to apply this rule. I’m selecting ‘Check Payments.’
We have now learned how to add handling fees to WooCommerce checkout. We made all the settings correctly. It’s time to check whether the settings are working fine or not.
When a customer adds a particular product to the cart and sets payment mode as Check Payments, the $15 handling fees will apply automatically to the total cart amount. You can see the final results we got with the help of the Dynamic Pricing and Discounts plugin.
We finally figured out how to add handling fees to WooCommerce checkouts. I hope you understood the steps correctly and implemented the same on your WooCommerce store. If you face any issues while adding handling fees to your WooCommerce store, leave a comment or contact Woosuite customer support. Woosuite’s dedicated customer support team typically replies within 48 hours.
Ready to Add Handling Fee to WooCommerce Checkouts?
Install the Dynamic Pricing and Discount Rules Plugin today.